Monday, February 23, 2009

Why?

This question is the be all, end all for teachers. I always get asked to explain myself and my decisions. It's been THE question word since I learned how to answer it in...maybe the 3rd grade? I've been using "because" to rationalize my own thoughts and feelings for over a decade now.
But sometimes I have to start explaining what other people feel or think. For example, I took a midterm today about the Reformation. I had to explain what made Martin Luther think the way he did about issues in the church. He lived half a millennium ago, and still I'm examining Luther through his writings to try to figure out what the guy was like and why he thought the way he did.

So WHY do I write?
First, because this is mandated by my Education 250 - Introduction to Instructional Technology class. Having a blog is supposed to help make me more technologically savvy, I guess? I'm not sure of the purpose here, but I'm sure I'll figure it out by the time May rolls around.
Second, because I like to be informed. I already know that I'm going to be a teacher; now I need to start thinking and reading more about pertinent issues in education. I've wanted to do this for a while now, and now that I'm required to, I might actually do it.
Third, because I need an outlet for professional self-examination. I just need a place to talk about stuff dealing with education. I really like to talk, and I really like education, so hopefully I can merge those two ideals together.


Hope you enjoyed reading!
-Miss MaryLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment